Friday, January 29, 2016

Paloma is About to Take Flight and a Special Gift to Go With Her

Hello crafty friends!  I received a special little brown package in the mail last week from the very well known and much loved blogger Alison Bomber of Words and Pictures. After the horrible events that unfolded last November in Paris, Lys of Impression Scrap was moved to create a dove of peace, whom she named Paloma.  It is her goal to have Paloma travel the globe to spread her message of peace.

Here is Lys' original post and here are Lys' words she used to introduce Paloma:

After the shock, the anger, the nausea...what to say...what to do?
I have only weapons made of paper and words...
Freedom and peace are the ones I wished to give today.
So this is Paloma, my simple paper dove.
For her I make a wish: could she take flight
and give all around the world her freedom and peace message?

Before sending  Paloma off to her next destination, it is Lys' wishes that she be photographed either in a post or photos sent to her.  I chose to do a post, because I made something special to send along with her to her next spot on the globe. While this has nothing to do with world peace, I'm sure the recipient will understand.


I had a blast making this, and it practically made itself in a couple of hours--granted the DecoArt Crackle medium had to dry on the DecoArt Steel Grey hearts  (Tim Holtz Heartfelt die) overnight, but they were a part of a series I was already working on.  All I had to do was add some Distress Shaded Lilac paint, heat embossing, and a couple of Remnant Rubs to them. I used Ranger gold embossing powder and Emerald Creek's Burnt Copper Leaves to add texture to my crackled hearts.  I love those tiny specks!


Oops on the blurry shot!


The background is a tag cut using Tim Holtz' Tags and Bookplates die and given some texture with my hand compounded texture paste and a home made stencil.  I  heat embossed with black Embossing Puffs for the texture before patting it with Distress paint. I  hit the motherload when I found these puffs in 4 colors at a yardsale recently!


The fence is Tim Holtz  Ironwork Gate die colored with Distress paints.  The frame is Tim Holtz Tags and Bookplates die, crackle paste, Distress paint, ink, DecoArt antiquing cream and my own embossing powder mixture and  tiny bit of Burnt Copper Leaves. The brad was also embossed with Burnt Copper Leaves. A Remnant Rub makes a ghastly portrait!





The key is Tim Holtz Hardware Findings die heat embossed with my own embossing powder concoction and embossed with a rubber stamp.  I topped  it with more embossing using Burnt Copper Leaves. I echoed this embossed texture at the bottom of the black chipboard backer board.




Following Lys' wishes, I have taken photos of Paloma in a place which represents peace or freedom to me. Anxiously awaiting the dove's arrival, I left one of my Christmas decorations up on top of the hutch of my desk where I tap away at the keys of my computer. Here's where I  write my blog, visiting lovely people such as yourself that live in faraway places, whom I will unlikely ever get to meet, yet feel so close to. This is my peace from the every day world.


I also find peace in my garden, and I snapped Paloma with her new American friend, Lucky Duck, in the tiny shade garden next to my screen porch. My porch swing is where I spent long, boring days this summer, and where I now and have always found freedom from the harsh realities of life. There are bird feeders, squirrel feeders, a grape arbor and a patio built by my husband, and a lovely tiered fountain gurgling away off to the side that you don't see in this photo. Gardenia's will bloom here in just another month or two.  Ah, their sweet perfume!  What could be more peaceful?  It's looks a little dull,  and unkempt right now, but it's still peaceful to me. Oh, that urn needs a cleaning and my climbing fern is frozen!


In the package was a little journal with names and addresses of those that want to offer a peaceful rest spot for Paloma--there are still a few empty pages.  So if anyone else that has not contacted Lys or Alison would like to be included in Paloma's journey, please contact me at capon at bellsouth dot net with your mailing information, and I will be sure to add you.  Lynn P. Lynn M and Julia A left comments on Alison's post, but I don't see them in the journal.  Let  me know if you would like your names added. I will be sending Paloma off to her new destination next Tuesday.

I chose a name from the journal to send Paloma to; I hope it's ok we do it out of order. I purposefully chose this name when I saw it, because I wanted to make this tag especially for this special lady. She's been a loyal follower, and we have a love of Halloween in common. You know who you are!

Alison blessed me, too, with this wonderful tag trio I had so admired on her blog!  Aren't they just a breath of fresh, spring air! Thank you, so much, you lovely lady! I will treasure them forever!


I would like to enter my tag into the following inspiring challenges:
Frilly and Funkie Enjoy Your Embossing Oh, I enjoyed it! I hope you do!
Emerald Creek Dares Valentine's Is NOT In the Air Non traditional colors and theme.
Scrapy Land Challenge Challenge # 34 Love Is In the Air (Romance/Valentine's) Not your typical Valentine's, but I'm "romancing" a blog buddie! Tee Hee!  Dies used: 4 different Sizzix dies.
-Mixed Media Place Creative Gym # 16 New Beginnings New Beginnings means trying new things..I've tried a new technique (crackle on hearts), a new way to use what I already have (texture on the bricks with embossing powder) and possibly a new friendship as I woo a fellow blogger with my tag!
Vintage Stamping Challenges # 40 Anything Goes with Your New Stash My new items are Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder and black embossing puffs used for the first time. I got the puffs at a yard sale. My stamp is on the key, embossing into the melted powders.
Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge January 2016 Stencil I used a home made stencil on the background and my stamp is embossed into heated powders on the key.

Thank you for stopping by  today and for all your amazing comments!  I read and appreciate each one!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

37 comments:

  1. Great techniques in your unique Valentine! And thanks for sharing your other goodies, too! Thanks for playing in the {Scrapy Land Challenge}! Hope to see your pretty projects again soon!
    crafty hugs,
    de
    {Creative Smiles}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sara, what a great post!! Your tag is absolutely amazing, so full of texture, I so want to reach out and touch it!! A classic Sara original for some lucky recipient! I love your stories of your special places and it looks like Paloma was right at home there. Safe travels to her for the next leg of her journey.

    Add my name to that journal please Sara...you have my address already and I will contact Alison when I have time.

    hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the story of Paloma! Your tag is exquisite and I am sure the lucky recipient will love it! I love all the textures on your tag! Thank you for playing along with us at Scrapy Land Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous tag, so Halloweeny :) Thank you for entering it into Scrapy Land challenge! As far as Paloma, I wish her safe travels!!!
    Hugs

    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous tag - such gorgeous details! I think I know where Paloma may be off to ... I shall wait and see!!! Big hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post Sara! Thanks so much for welcoming Paloma in such a warm and cheerful way! Your garden corner is beautiful and the urn... Magnifique! I love how Paloma seems to fly over this beautiful peace word. Your tag is so dramatic and brilliant, what a strong illustration for our peace message!
    The three tags from Alison are a wonderful gift: a window on coming Spring...
    Thanks very much for your involvement in Paloma's journey, have a great time with her, I'm sure she will be richer when flying again to her next step.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, Sara, what an amazing tag!! The texture is spectacular!! I just keep looking at the pictures to absorb all of the details!! It's stunning!! Thank you so much for playing along with the Scrapy Land Blog Challenge!! And, wow, Paloma is such a beautiful message of peace!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous tag, thank you for sharing it with us at AYLI this week.
    Lorraine DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous tag - okay,it's a teensy bit scary but what's not to love about all that brilliant texture?Paloma is sure to be welcomed wherever she goes! I haven't offered her a resting place because as you know we are often not around and if she arrived while we were away she would be on her own! Hugs, Chrisx ps I hope you don't mind that I have just had a massive catch up! X

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've done Lys and Paloma proud, Sara Emily! I absolutely love your heat embossing with your special mix (and now really can't wait to get my Emerald Creek Burnt Copper Leaves EP!) Love your colors, and the fence, and the background, and all of it!! But really taken with your embossing, for sure!! I will be emailing you with my information as yes, I would love to see this lovely Paloma at some point! I must have missed that bit in the original, lol! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhh dearie, you sure do have a way with the wicked Halloween inspired designs. This tag is terrific and all of that embossing is spectacular! I bet the recepient will truly treasure it! Awesome sauce use of the burnt copper leaves-sounds interesting and now is on my wish list.

    Paloma and her message are magnificent. You have showcased your special places with her smashingly well. Peaceful and serene places. What a wonderful momento!

    Hugz to you muffin! Hope you have an amazing weekend. ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to see Paloma enjoying the next leg of her journey - and I'm looking forward to seeing where she takes her message of peace next. Like Rachel, I think I might know... but we'll see.

    Fabulous tag to accompany her along the way with amazing texture and atmosphere - that should scare off any bandits and villains en route!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fascinating blogpost. I seriously love your tag, made with materials mostly unknown to me, but so effective. I'm going to go back up and read all the details again.
    What a lovely story about Paloma and I'm glad she found a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a grungy cool textured tag you have created!! Love love the emboss dripping heart!
    Very sweet of Alison to share those tags with you- luky gal! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so awesome, Sara, and your tag is amazing!! All of that embossing and yummy texture! You truly set a mood with this tag. I've read through your post twice trying to absorb the techniques you've used.
    I hope Paloma has a safe journey. I'm certain that whoever receives your tag will treasure it always
    Thank you so much for joining us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Sara, what an amazing post and your tag is spectacular, the message to my eyes is very clear! The textures and techniques used are brilliant, - those touches of gold and copper EP lift the whole piece to another level! I vaguely remember hearing about Paloma's journey n Alison's blog a while back, but was to pre-occupied to take action. Anyway, if not too late, I would love to join. (I think I also know where she is heading next :o) Have emailed both Lys and you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! The many embossing techniques you employed on this tag are wonderful to say the least. At first sight, I thought this was another Halloween project, but upon reading the text, I realized what a symbolic project this is. Your attention to detail is always wonderful Sara Emily! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Frilly and Funkie "Enjoy your Embossing" Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous tag with amazing texture and depth to it.
    happy Sunday.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! To one of the nicest, kindest, and most sharing of people I have never met! You are a total Star!! Have a wonderful day full of love and laughter! Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, Sara, this has to be my most favourite pieces of your work - ever! I love Halloween and I positively adore your gorgeous tag, it is absolutely incredible - all that gorgeous texture - wowzers!

    Paloma looks beautiful in the settings you have given to her, your urn is fabulous! The tags that Alison sent you are gorgeous too, she is such a lovely and generous person - and even nicer in real life ! I did leave my name some time ago, as I wanted to join in on Paloma's adventures but I am not sure whether I am in the mix or not..., if not I would love it if you would add me. Thanks so much!

    Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sara, this is amazing! The story that lead into it was so touching and inspiring. And your craft is beyond words. I have to say it's such an hour and super exciting to see my pieces popping up on projects other then family and DT members, so you have brought an amazing heart felt joy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just popping over from Pamela's to say Happy, Happy Birthday, Sara Emily!! Hope you have a fabulous day! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Belated Birthday wishes Sara, I hope you had a wonderful day lovely lady! Big birthday hugs, Anne xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh... what a wonderful story about Lys and Paloma. I loved reading this so much. And you were the ultimate hostess - there is no doubt that Paloma enjoyed being with you.

    Your tag is very unique - that's for sure!! I would say I love it but it's a bit too 'wicked' to consider using the word love as a describing element. It does have extremely luscious textures and amazing depth of color though. Pretty near incredible art work.

    AND... HAPPY BIRTHDAY - albeit - a bit late but... nevertheless... for sure sending HUGE HUGS to you to celebrate your life. I'm so thankful God created you and shared you with me - truly I am. By the way... WHEN IS your birthday girl????!!! Must be rather close to mine - huh!!! Pretty neat and sweet!!! Much love. j.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do hope your birthday was as special and beautiful as you are dear Sarah Emily! Sorry I missed the day! Sending much love to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. What amazing artwork on your tag.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow...what a magnificent layered creation, perfect for our current AYLI Challenge!! Sarah :0)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful tag, Sara! I love the textured layers and the colour choice is stunning. Thank you for introducing me to Paloma ~ that is such a wonderful idea!
    Thank you for sharing your project with us at Emerald Creek Dares.
    {julia} Emerald Creek DT

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fabulous tag .... great detail and texture. Thank you for playing along at Happy Little Stampers xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your tag is fantastic! I love all the different textures, it gives the tag real depth. The embossed metal is lurvely! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Another beautiful project! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh is my face ever red!!!! Yes, Paloma arrived here safely and is patiently waiting for me to take her on a jaunt around the island. I am tickled pink to be a part of this.
    Now I certainly do understand your Halloween tag! It is fabulous just like you! Thank you Sugar - you know I love it. I look at every part of this tag and of course feel it too and think WOW - I know what makes this kid so good. And thanks for all the other goodies you included.
    I too am lucky enough to have one of Alyson's tags - I just can't get over it. She is so talented and so very sweet too. I don't see how she does it all.
    Hope all is well and just know one thing -- I may be late once in a while but you will NEVER lose me!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. A wonderfully ghoulish embossed tag and a beautiful way to show off Paloma. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabolous tag with amazing structure and details!
    Thanks for joining our challenge at Mixed Media Place!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Really cool paint effects and colors! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous tags at the bottom, and fantastic Halloween tag to send along with Paloma to the next destination.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Sara!
    Wow, what an amazing tag and great post!!! Happy to catch up too (in the reverse side, I'm sorry...) with Paloma's adventures all around the world, taking a little break and spreading her beautiful peace message in welcoming houses.. She looks to have done a great travel in yours!
    I have been enough lucky to welcome her a few days, how lovely this peace dove (and idea behind) is!!!
    Coco xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.