Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Eroded Metallic

Hello crafty friends!  Today I have a wall hanging using Tim Holtz' technique "Eroded Metallic" from his book A Compendium of Curiosities Vol. 3. I even photographed my piece on my old eroded metal file box here. It's raining here today; otherwise I would have taken this outdoors to photograph.  Sorry for the glare.


Linda Ledbetter's Studio L3 is up to their 29th Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge, and she is challenging us to make an original project using this technique.  You can find full instructions on how to do this on page 44 of Tim's book.  You can order your own copy here, if for some unfortunate reason you do not yet have this valuable resource.  Linda and the Crew have a few prizes:  Tim has generously donated a massive pile of goodies for the Crew's choice, and Joy and her family at Inspiration Emporium are offering a generous $50 gift certificate to the lucky winner.  And if that's not enough, you also get to learn and practice a new Tim technique!

This technique lends itself to just about any crafting style, but I wanted to go with a vintage look so I could join in the fun at Mixed Media World for their third challenge, "Vintage".  If you have not yet had a look at what this talented Design Team is up to, hurry over as fast as you can!  You will enjoy the view!

I wanted to use some of my new to me goodies, so I could join in with one of my favorite Mixed Media challenge blogs, Mixed Media Monthly whose challenge this month is "Year of Choices".  They are celebrating their one year anniversary, and to mark the occasion, Donna is allowing us to choose one of this past 12 month's challenge themes.  I am choosing "New to You", since I've recently picked up a few items I haven't used yet. I've also used my stain glass foil tape in a new way!  And of course, this technique is new to me, too!

Another reason I love this technique is that it allows me to play with my Distress paints.  A Sprinkle of Imagination is in the middle of an "Anything Goes" challenge, as long as you use at least one product available from their store. I think I have it covered!  Be sure to check out this challenge blog--you will get plenty of inspiration from the talented Design Team there!

What makes me smile? Jan over at Our Creative Corner wants us to answer this question in our artwork with her challenge "What Makes You Smile?".  For me, blue skies with white puffy clouds make me smile.  They remind me of simpler times when my kids were babes, and we would lay on a quilt in the backyard and while away the afternoon looking for dinosaurs, dogs, and any other animal in them. Of course, any one who knows me knows I love RUSTY things! I also smile when I've learned something new. So I've focused my wall hanging on these things.

I used the Eroded Metallic on each of my elements which are all mounted to a plain black metallic card adhered to cardboard. I went with a simple background, because I really wanted to showcase the technique.


Inspired by Hels Sheridan's gorgeous tag, I chose similar colors for my cloud filled sky. I was also inspired by Candy Colwell and her lovely vintage clipboard in making my frame.  She used embossed images coated with gesso prior to laying down her colors, and I followed suit. I used Tim's Distressed Frame Texture Fade to emboss my plain white card stock .  As Candy did, I gave it a coat of gesso, dried it, and applied my color.  When dry I stamped my cloud image (CI Stamping) in Jet Black Archival.  I wanted to give my clouds a silver lining, so I used Brushed Pewter for the Eroded Metallic technique on this section.  It's very difficult to photograph, but the Eroded Metallic is there.



For the "frame" portion, I laid down color, then stamped a wood grain image (Heidi Swapp) in Coffee Archival ink. This was kind of a wasted step, since it barely shows after doing the Eroded Metallic.  For the technique I used Antiqued Bronze and Tarnished Brass.



My sentiment comes from my new (to me) Tim Holtz Phrases 2 set, stamped in Jet Black Archival ink. I love this quote. Next, I embossed the complete card a second time to get nice raised texture.  I applied Ranger Embossing Dabber to the raised areas randomly and sprinkled with Ranger copper embossing powder.

I did the Eroded Metallic technique on some black card scraps, this time using only Antiqued Bronze for the technique, and made two die cuts using Sizzix Curly Gate. I also used a sponge to dab on a tiny bit of Chipped Sapphire Distress paint. I'm showing this shot of my work while I'm figuring out how I wanted to arrange my elements, because I think the true colors on the butterfly really show up quite nicely.


On a piece of thick glossy waste packaging, I used the Eroded Metallic technique using Tarnished Brass, Antiqued Bronze and Brushed Pewter. I felt like I had the best results using this type of card. I cut a butterfly and embossed it using my new Butterfly  Duo set.  I adore butterflies, and I've been saving my pennies to get this die!  I'm sure I will get a lot of use out of it!  Here are 3 more butterflies I used the technique on using various colors and card types. I decided to make little brooches out of them. I added some Chipped Sapphire Distress paint on the silver one after doing the technique, because it looked a little ho-hum.






Each butterfly got some body work.  The one on my wall hanging got some microbeads and curled up wire in two metallic tones, since I couldn't decide which one to use!  I added the teensiest bit of Cloisonne High Gloss Crystals for the head. I popped the butterfly up with several thicknesses of foam tape to give my otherwise flat piece some dimension and to make it look as if he were flying through a window. I used Cloisonne High Gloss Crystals on the butterfly brooch bodies (say that 5 times fast!) and various wires curled up for antenna.

My foil tape edging was inspired by Cheryl Grisgby and her wonderful altered phone box.  I tried using Tissue Tape, but the colors didn't quite look right.  So I reached deep into my stain glass supplies (I haven't even looked at them in years!), pulled out the foil tape, and Eroded Metallic'd it, too!  This was another surface that this technique worked very well on. I used Antiqued Bronze and Tarnished Brass for the technique here.


So there you have it!  Each one of my elements on my wall hanging got the Eroded Metallic treatment!  I want to thank the Curiosity Crew--each one inspired me, through their lovely artwork and by encouraging us to practice this technique.  That was very good advice!



Thank you for stopping in, and for all your lovely, encouraging and inspiring comments!  I read and appreciate every single one of them! Hugs and Blessings!

Sara Emily

I would like to enter this into the following inspiring  challenges which also happen to be five of my favorites:

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #13 "A Year of Choices" I chose Challenge #8 "New to You" because I wanted to use some of my newest Tim Holtz buys: Butterfly Duo die and Phrase 2 stamps and try a new Tim Holtz technique.  I also wanted to try using one of my old crafty items in a new way!
Our Creative Corner "What Makes You Smile?" White puffy clouds in a blue sky and rust...and trying new things!

Distress products used:  Paint: black soot, antique linen, walnut stain, peeled paint, tumbled glass, faded jeans shaded lilac, chipped sapphire, antiqued bronze, tarnished brass and brushed pewter. Inks: vintage photo, shaded lilac, chipped sapphire, and tumble glass (I think)

Other products are mentioned in the text.

55 comments:

  1. really beautiful and rich looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving such nice words! Great compliment coming from you!

      Delete
  2. The impact you got, using different base materials for the "technique" really does you proud. A beautiful result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Sara - I'm OVER THE MOON IN LOVE with your project. Dear me, dear me, dear me it is INCREDIBLY ASTOUNDING in LOVELINESS and ELEGANCE. There is no way to describe how blown away I am by this WORK OF ART. (at least to me!!!) WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.... LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it - going back now for another SWOON.... j.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Joi, that's a lot of hhhhhhh's! I'm so very happy you like my results! You have really made my day (again!). Thank YOU, Sweet thing! Hugs!

      Delete
  4. Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Sara - I'm OVER THE MOON IN LOVE with your project. Dear me, dear me, dear me it is INCREDIBLY ASTOUNDING in LOVELINESS and ELEGANCE. There is no way to describe how blown away I am by this WORK OF ART. (at least to me!!!) WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.... LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it - going back now for another SWOON.... j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara!! Beautiful wall hanging!! Your cloud backdrop really makes your focal elements pop. You done a BEEE-u-tiful job with the technique and GOOD choice to layer the frame and scrolling over a simple black foundation. Very effective. Great job, chica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, it makes me happy that you visited and left this sweet, sweet comment! I'm so glad you like my wall hanging! Thanks for the inspiration, especially using the foil tape. I think I just may have to use it more often!

      Delete
  6. Wow, Sara! You nailed this technique! I'm so glad you got so much inspiration from my fellow Crew members. You did so well! I love the fact that you even applied the technique to the trim as well. Fabulous! Thanks for joining us for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much, Susan! You just don't know how much the entire Crew inspired me!

      Delete
  7. Oh dearie me Sara-doll!!! This is a fantabulous use of the eroded metallic technique! So many wonderful, versatile ways to use it. Wonderfully stinning project! Awesome sauce! I love the gate die and am so happy that you have your butterfly die now! Hip hip, hooray!!!! Big Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, Punkin! You really know how to make a girl feel special! Your visits always bring sunshine into my day! I bet you do that for a lot of people in your day! Thank you for these kind words!

      And yes, I am very happy to finally get my hands on that butterfly duo! If I start right now, I may be able to make brooches for all the ladies at church for next Mother's Day! One year I made Tattered Floral brooches out of coffee filters for everyone--it took me and my family 2 months to make 300! But I had many flowers left for my Halloween hat!

      Delete
  8. Those butterflies are divine! I love the photo of the one tucked into the plant..it looks like a butterfly fairy godmother! This whole project is so you: rich in technique, beautifully composed and delightfully distressed and vintage. My absolute favorite part is the amazing sky you created. I really do feel as though I am looking up at a summer sky with thunderheads building on the horizon. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy, you are so generous with your praise! I agree about the favorite butterfly--that is my favorite, too! I'm as happy as an ant at a picnic lunch because you came and left this awesome comment! You always make me smile! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sara, this is simply amazing! Oh I do love how you worked your magic with the Eroded Metallics technique and those butterflies are GORGEOUS! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Terry! I have to say, using this technique did not provide instant gratification, so encouragement by the Curiosity Crew was just what I needed!

      Delete
  11. Wow Sara, this is freaking awesome! I am in love with all the amazing textures and effects you achieved using the eroded effect! I have never seen such beautiful results before, especially that sky, holy moly!! LOVE LOVE LOVE! Your butterfly is amazing, what an eye catcher! Gorgeous from top to bottom my friend! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you so much, Pamellia! All of my samples turned out the best, that's why I made the butterflies! I'm so happy you like how the sky turned out! Happy Sunday to you! Hugs!

      Delete
  12. Way cool hanging! LOVE the inspiration for each part, and your design is gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining us at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita! Oh, how I loved how your box turned out...I had eroded metal envy after seeing that beauty!

      Delete
  13. Wow Sara, totally inspiring project. Beautiful.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would never have guessed that Eroded Mettalics could look so beautiful! :) Your wall hanging looks absolutely fantastic and the butterfly is so lush! Love it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, so much Asia! What a nice thing to say!

      Delete
  15. Sara your wall hanging looks spectacular!!! Love the swirly design! Butterfly is stunning! What a great project my dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for making my day, Samra! I appreciate you leaving this sweet comment; I know it's not easy! I hope you are enjoying a restful Sunday! Hugs!

      Delete
  16. Sara, I just had to come by and tell you that your project completely caught my eye over at Our Creative Corner. It is just so darn gorgeous. That beautiful sky is so dreamy and balancing it with the eroded metal is pure genius. Incredible piece girl, I am drooling. - Candice- (tincan crafter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Candice, your comment completely blew me away! I'm so happy you like it! Happy Sunday!

      Delete
  17. Wow your eroded metals look amazing Sara Emily and your background really creates a wonderful 3d effect. Clever and wonderful. Nikki xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nikki! a wonderful compliment coming from the Queen of Grunge! (That's a good thing!)

      Delete
  18. Beautiful project, love what you did here! The metallic effects just look amazing, wow!!! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, muchly, Astrid! It really makes me smile to read your comment!

      Delete
  19. Hi Sara, just love it! The background and the eroded metal is gorgeous. Yes, you made me smile ( as always) with your amazing creativity. Thank you for joining my challenge at Our Creative Corner x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jan, it makes me SMILE even more to see you left this lovely comment! Thank you! Great challenge; it has left a great big grin on my face! :)

      Delete
  20. I love the whole project Sarah! I would totally hang this up in my house!!! I love the sentiment, the butterflies and the fact that your clouds have a silver lining!! So special!! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Challenge!! (And thank you for stopping by my blog too!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I lost my comment! Here we go again! I was saying how I appreciated your comment--thank you for your uplifting words! and visiting your blog was such a pleasure; I loved seeing how you used old things in a new way. A beautiful floral wall hanging!

      Delete
  21. HOw pretty and I love your butterflies. Thank you for entering our challenge at ASOI this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jaine! I'm happy you like my butterflies!

      Delete
  22. Gorgeous make! Love the techniques you used and the results is fantastic! The blue background is amazing! Thank you for entering our challenge at Mixed Media World! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ingrid! It is always a pleasure to have you visit!

      Delete
  23. Hi Sara Emily! This rusty creation is amazing, and SO elegant! Wonderful butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! And Thanks for playing with us at Our Créative Corner!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Lys! I'm happy you like it!

      Delete
  24. Great wall hanging! It does look eroded. Thanks so much for playing at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna! It was my pleasure to join the challenge at Mixed Media Monthly this time!

      Delete
  25. Great techniques and a beautiful finished project! Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great project. Thanks for joining the Mixed Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is just beautiful, sara. the copper shine and details are so amazing. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge and celebrating our first birthday!!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I missed these last two comments! Thank you for such lovely words!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.